We delivered Valentine’s Gift Boxes to our local real estate friends to thank them for being partners in helping us deliver the best moving services to home buyers and sellers.
Q: How Far in Advance do I Need to Hire a Mover?
A: It depends. On average, most people call a mover 30 to 45 days prior to their move date. But there a few things to consider when scheduling time for a move estimate.
- Long Distance vs. Local Move — if you are moving around the corner a bit of procrastination may not hurt – and you are safe calling within two-four weeks before your move, but when moving to a new state, there is much more involved in organizing a plan. Consider calling a mover much sooner (4-6 weeks). And note that many interstate movers require a minimum of 7-10 days advance notice to schedule a move – so please do not call at the last minute if your move date is firm.
- Summer moves – the majority of moves happen in the summer (May-August. If you are planning to move then, there is greater likelihood that your preferred mover may not have your move date available (most good movers are booked 2-3 months out). To avoid this, it is advised to call as soon as possible (at least four weeks in advance). Moving in the other seasons will give you much more flexibility with move dates.
- Day of the week/month – the most popular time to move is the end of the month– so if you need to move then, or on a weekend, call soon. If you can move mid-week and mid-month when movers are usually not as busy, you will have an easier time getting the move date you need.
- How complex is your move?– a typical 1-2 bedroom apartment or house is usually a fairly simple move… But if you have a large house (4 bedrooms +), a lot of items to move, or have unique needs (crating, specialty packing, storage, etc.), you probably want to allow extra time.
Moving industry experts advise contacting movers four to six weeks ahead of your scheduled move or longer if it is a complicated job.
Next week, we will cover selecting the best moving company for your move. Stay tuned!
If you like us, please nominate us for the Best of Spartanburg 2019 Moving Service.
Carey Moving and Storage has been serving the Spartanburg community for over 110 years. If you are one of the many families or businesses that we helped move, please nominate us for the Best Mover in the Best of Spartanburg competition. Nominations are open from February 13-17, 2019
Vote Here-Best of Spartanburg
Thanks from all of us here at Carey Moving and Storage!
Allied Van Lines recently released the 2018 State Magnet Report. You may find the facts fun and interesting.
- Guess the top 5 states people moved from
- Guess the top 5 consumer move destination states
- Guess what turned out to be the most popular day of the week to move.
Now check to see if you guessed right. Click here-2018 Allied Van Lines State Magnet Report
Carey Moving & Storage wishes you and your family a happy, healthy and safe holiday season!
It’s the fall season with winter coming right around the corner. As a moving company, we have greater capacity and flexibility during the cold weather months because fewer people choose to move at this time. We wanted to offer our tips below to make your move smoother and easier.
1) Turn on the Heat
Make sure the heat in your new home is turned on before you arrive with your belongings. There is nothing more uncomfortable than moving into a new home that is the same temperature as the cold outdoors.
2) Stay Flexible
Know your travel plans and be ready to slow down or change them if the weather becomes an issue.
3) Keep Everyone Safe
Moving into a new home is always an exciting time, however, you want to keep everyone safe. Here are a few extra tips to remember when moving during the cold weather:
- Remove the leaves around your sidewalk and driveway so movers can easily and safely navigate your belongings into your home. This will also keep your foyer cleaner.
- Carry a car emergency kit with you that includes road flares, blankets, bottled water, flashlights, batteries and even some snacks in case you get hungry.
- Ensure your cell phone is fully charged so you can always call for help or be reached by your movers if there is a change in plans.
Moving during cold weather may not be ideal for everyone, but with the right preparation and people helping, the move can be less stressful. We hope these tips make moving easier for you.
Carey Moving had a ton of fun delivering our fall harvest baskets of treats to our local realtor friends.
And check out these pumpkin carvings from the Realtor barbecue!
We hope you are enjoying the summer! Things are heating up in the moving season. Our customers are packing, prepping, planning and moving. One question we often get is, “What do I need to do with my appliances before they are transported to my new home?”. Very good question!
Find your answers here- How Do I Get Appliances Ready to Move?
And remember to hire Carey Moving & Storage to do the heavy lifting!
Time to move. You have been preparing for weeks and weeks. You are down to the last week packing. You open the pantry and kitchen cabinets and see how well-stocked they are with canned goods and dry goods. What is the best way to deal with these items that are easily replaceable and may add to the cost of your move?
Check out this article that takes on this topic and provides useful advice-Should I Move Food or Donate it?
We hope that after reading it, you have the information you need to make your decision.
Good luck! And remember, Carey is here for all your moving and storage needs.
So many things need to line up when planning a move. One always hopes that it all lines up perfectly and allows for a seamless schedule and plan. But sometimes this is impossible. For instance, what if you can’t be at your new home at the time of delivery of possessions?
Check out this article to help you solve this problem-What if I Can’t be there to Accept Delivery?
Ask Carey anytime you have any questions or concerned about your moving process!